shows on shows on shows

Live music is my favorite kind of music. If live music is considered a genre, it's my favorite genre. There's something about going to a concert and seeing the band live, hearing the passion and the little quirks in the lead singer's voice and feeling the drums and bass in your body that makes live music so special. This year I've seen a ridiculous number of bands/artists live, but it might only be ridiculous to me. I usually average one or two shows a year and this year I've seen nine and 17 artists in total.  I feel so grateful to have seen all of these people live and it also makes me wish I had never quit learning how to play the guitar. So without further ado, here's the list:

APRIL 20: THE GRISWOLDS/MAGIC MAN

When two bands you really like say they're going on tour together you just gotta go. Be Impressive was one of my favorite albums in 2015 and Paris has been one of my favorite songs even before Magic Man had a record out. And per the 4/20 reference, they passed around a joint on stage at the end. True showmanship. 

APRIL 22: JUSTIN BIEBER

I'll admit the only reason I went to see Justin Bieber is because Tisko had an extra ticket (also Tisko I still owe you money I'm aware). The concert was terribly disappointing but I had fun jamming to the classic Bieber tunes. 

JUNE 7: HAIM

The actual lights of my life and lights of my summer were definitely the Haim sisters. Haim is in the top three of my favorite bands (I'm not sure where they stand right now the list varies accordingly) and they finally came to Louisville. When I saw the tour dates I think I shed one single tear. I'm obviously biased because I love them, but I think they put on one of the best shows I saw this year. Their music is filled with jams but when they slowed it down it was just as good.

JUNE 22: SELENA GOMEZ

Selena Gomez literally makes the most perfect easy-going pop music. She cites 80's dance music as her inspiration and I think that's what makes her music so good. It was a last minute decision to go see her but I'm glad I did. People like to talk about how she can't sing live and she may not be the best, but her visuals made up for it for sure.

JULY 16: FORECASTLE FESTIVAL (BANNERS, SHAKEY GRAVES, DR DOG, LOCAL NATIVES, ALABAMA SHAKES)

Forecastle Festival is an annual event in Louisville and I finally got to go this year after asking my dad if I could go for like four years now (lols). I only went for a day but the heat was terrible and if that day was supposed to be considered the coolest of the three I'm okay with that. The thing about festivals is you can walk around and you don't have to watch the entire set so I got to see tons of super cool artists. I caught the last chorus of Cecilia and the Satellite by Andrew McMahon and the Wilderness, so can I technically say I saw six artists? We'll say six.

JULY 27: WATERFRONT WEDNESDAY (LUCIUS, KALEO)

Wfpk is a local radio station of mine and they host an event called Waterfront Wednesday where bands will play and you can sit and watch (for free!!! which is the best part). I hadn't heard of Lucius until I saw the flyer with Kaleo's name but I decided to give the other acts a shot because they had to be good to be on the same stage. I've been a fan of Kaleo for a while and to see them live (for free) I knew I had to go. Kaleo was everything I hoped for and more (even though there was a one hour rain delay (but it was free so that's okay)). 

OCTOBER 3: JAMES BAY

James Bay is my actual indie king. I obviously have watched live performances from him and knew he would be an amazing artist to see live, but my expectations were exceeded and I didn't think that would happen. When he started to sing I literally thought I was listening to his record. He sounded just as good as the recording and like I said, I knew he would, but if you have the chance to see him live please do it.

OCTOBER 17: SAINT MOTEL, HIPPO CAMPUS, WEATHERS

As far as shows go, Saint Motel was one of the best artists I've seen live. They played most of their new album during the show and I couldn't wait to play it on repeat once it came out. I knew Hippo Campus because Alt Nation would exclusively play Suicide Saturday every hour when it was really popular but it turns out they're also fantastic live. And I got a set list which always equals a win.

OCTOBER 30: THE 1975

I'm truly undeniably Kent State you guys. Seeing girls camped out in tents the night before and in the freezing cold didn't make sense to me but thinking back it reminds me of my 1D days so I guess I kind of get it. The show was more like trying to survive the hunger games because of all the pushing and shoving but if we're talking about the music I had a grandiose time. Especially because of those visuals.


Tags:

Share:

0 comments